We run a number of projects in areas of importance to good community relations, such as the Decade of Centenaries, partnered with by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
About the Decade of Centenaries
The Decade of Centenaries refers to the period of the Home Rule Crisis and the Ulster Covenant Campaign in 1912 through to Partition and the establishment of two parliaments in Ireland in 1921/22.
The Community Relations Council (CRC) and Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) organised the first 'Remembering the Future' conference that took place on 21 March 2011. This began a continuing conversation about the issue of remembering in public space.
To support this CRC and HLF developed and promoted a widely endorsed set of principles. A series of conferences and resources fairs were organised with partners. Publications and videos developed include Remembering the Future 11 Session Lecture Series, a Toolkit of case studies, videos and publications on the three conferences. We produced these in order to promote balanced understanding of difficult history, using the historical facts and drawing on different narratives.
More great resources are available further down this page, as well as on Creative Centenaries.
Here you will find a list of useful resources about the Decade of Centenaries availble for download:
- Decade of Anniversaries - Highlights of a Review of Decade of Centenaries 2012 - 2023 (PDF 421.41 KB)
- Decade Principles for Remembering in Public Space
- Decade of Anniversaries Toolkit
- Remembering the Future - Reflections
- Remembering 1916
- Remembering the Future discussion paper
- Remembering the Future - Funding Guidance
- Brian Cowan Speech: A Decade of Commemorations
Decade of Centenaries Lecture Series
Conflict, Polarisation and Partition Conference
Here is a list of useful website resources:
- Century Ireland
- Creative Centenaries
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Historical Walking Tours of Dublin
- History Hub Ulster
- History Ireland Magazine and Hedge Schools
- Libraries NI – Heritage Service Libraries NI
- Living Legacies 1914-18 From Past Conflict to Shared Future
- National Museums NI – Decade of Centenaries Resources
- Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE)
- Shankill Parish Caring Association
- Teaching Divided Histories
- The Junction – Ethical and shared remembering
- The Living Legacies 1914-18
- The Somme Museum
- Ulster Historical Foundation
- War Years Remembered – First to Fight, Last to Die