We run a number of projects in areas of importance to good community relations, such as the Decade of Centenaries, partnered with by The National Lottery Heritage Fund.
About the Decade of Centenaries
The Decade of Centenaries refers to the period of the Home Rule Crisis and the Ulster Covenant Campaign in 1912 through to Partition and the establishment of two parliaments in Ireland in 1921/22.
The Community Relations Council (CRC) and The National Lottery Heritage Fund organised the first 'Remembering the Future' conference that took place on 21 March 2011. This began a continuing conversation about the issue of remembering in public space.
To support this CRC and The National Lottery Heritage Fund developed and promoted a widely endorsed set of principles. A series of conferences and resources fairs were organised with partners. Publications and videos developed include Remembering the Future 11 Session Lecture Series, a Toolkit of case studies, videos and publications on the three conferences. We produced these in order to promote balanced understanding of difficult history, using the historical facts and drawing on different narratives.
More great resources are available further down this page, as well as on Creative Centenaries.
Resource Fair – Marking the 2021 NI Centenary
CRC held a Resource Fair over three days on 24—26 February 2021. We showcased existing available resources to support organisations to mark the forthcoming 2021 NI Centenary, as well as providing opportunities to discuss the use of those resources and their application in a way that reinforces the Principles for Remembering.
We’ve also created a resource document to help organisations:Marking the 2021 NI Centenary – Organisation Resources (PDF 2.2 MB)
We’ve also collected a series of videos from the resource fair here, with coverage throughout the 3-day event:
Here you will find a list of useful resources about the Decade of Centenaries available for download:
- Decade Principles for Remembering in a Public Space (PDF 136 KB)
- Review of the Marking Anniversaries Period and Future Challenges 2018 (PDF 1.7 MB)
- Decade of Anniversaries - Highlights of a Review of Decade of Centenaries 2012 - 2023 (PDF 421.41 KB)
- Update 2018 - Decade of Anniversaries Toolkit (PDF 2 MB)
- Decade of Anniversaries Toolkit (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Remembering the Future - Reflections (PDF 1.6 MB)
- Remembering 1916 (PDF 916 KB)
- Remembering the Future discussion paper (PDF 364 KB)
- Remembering the Future - Funding Guidance (PDF 391 KB)
- Brian Cowan Speech: A Decade of Commemorations (Word 43 KB)
Decade of Centenaries Lecture Series
Conflict, Polarisation and Partition Conference
Here is a list of useful website resources:
- Century Ireland
- Creative Centenaries
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Historical Walking Tours of Dublin
- History Hub Ulster
- History Ireland Magazine and Hedge Schools
- Libraries NI – Heritage Service Libraries NI
- Living Legacies 1914-18 From Past Conflict to Shared Future
- National Museums NI – Decade of Centenaries Resources
- Northern Ireland Council for Integrated Education (NICIE)
- Shankill Parish Caring Association
- Teaching Divided Histories
- The Junction – Ethical and shared remembering
- The Living Legacies 1914-18
- The Somme Museum
- Ulster Historical Foundation
- War Years Remembered – First to Fight, Last to Die