Present: Robin Wilson (Chair for meeting), Declan O'Loan, Ward Erwin, Ann Anderson Porter, Edwin Graham, Neil Jarman, Nelson McCausland
In attendance: Duncan, Dympna, Jacqueline, Joanne Murphy, Philip, Ali, Patricia, Peter
Apologies: Róise Ní Bhaoill, Eamon Deane, Vivienne Pollock, Nial Fitzduff
3. Minutes of the last meeting
Agreed but in the future more detail should be recorded.
Minutes should be reflective but say if they do not want them to appear in the minutes.
4. Update on Shared Future Consultations
Over 400 of CRC's response to the Shared Future Consultation have been sent out. It was widely distributed to Government departments and ministers. In total there have been over 230 responses but this does not take into account that at some events there was over 100 organisations represented. An excellent response was received from the voluntary and community sector. Dympna agreed to draw up an overview of responses based on those received by CRC.
All the main political parties have been invited to make responses directly to the Minister.
It is expected that the Secretary of State, Paul Murphy will give the governments response on the 28th October.
The Committee was pleased overall with the way organisation of the consultation and the breadth of responses and highlighted the need for people who have taken part to feel it was a worthwhile process.
Council also needs to ensure that we do not get frozen out of any future discussions on the Shared Future implementation.
5. Committee feedback on Good Relations Framework (GRF)
Joanne Murphy joined the meeting and gave an update on the GRF.
Draft 5 is now ready. Not many changes have been made. EU definition of Racism has been included. Joanne requested guidance from the committee on faith, institutional racism and discrimination.
Duncan agreed to produce a final definition.
The Committee decides to change name of document to Good Practice Guide for Promoting Good Relations within the Statutory Sector.
The document needs to be more positive in language and perhaps not so wordy. If anyone has any specific points please e-mail to Joanne before 19th September.
It was acknowledged that the GRF is one of the few models available in this area of work.
Robin agreed to edit draft 5.
Dympna agreed to work towards publication and launch of the final document in December.
6. Committee feedback on language research
After discussion on the short piece of research undertaken by Jess with CRC staff, it was agreed that the document should be:
developed as an internal guidance document as part of CRC's Good Relations Policy and piloted for further development re: how to air the issue, how we present it, how to proceed with it, how it links into the identity issue, implementation etc.
reworked to include language around race relations and sexual orientation more fully
worked on by a known an external individual or organisation to develop it for external use as a style guide
It was agreed that the document should be tabled on the agenda of the Communications Committee for its guidance.
7. Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy – CRC position paper
Philip presented a paper on the Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy and discussion highlighted the fact that it was welcomed as a 7 to 10 year Strategy which goes right to the heart of DSD
However the CR content was minimal.
It was felt that Government Departments have a tendency to avoid CR issues and that it was our responsibility to mark the shortcomings of this document in respect of the lack of CR reference.
Philips paper will be turned into letter from Duncan and sent to DSD.
8. Flags and Emblems
This issue was noted an extremely important issue for CRC to discuss and address internally, with institutions and within communities even to the point were we don't agree on the issue.
Recognise that we have no policy, except local consensus or local authority policy.
It was acknowledged that Council, the wider community and the Committee needed to be fully consulted on this matter. It is a matter that cannot be rushed and the next meeting will set aside an hour for full discussion. Dominic Bryan will be invited to join the debate and Duncan will draft a discussion paper for it.
The issue will feature as in item on the agenda of the policy conference in spring.
9. Race Relations
Need to be clear in how we are developing. Where are we with regards to this? What are our policies? It is a natural progression for us to go into this area. This should be included in Strategic Plan. There appears to be fragmentation within the race relations sector.
Issue to be included in PD Programme Council papers re: CRC's role and responsibility in this area.
Policy Development Officer: Currently advertising for post.
BITC Awards – We need council members to work on nominations. Ward and Erwin agree to do this.