Present: Robin Wilson, Eamon Deane, Ward Erwin, Damien McElroy, Damian McKevitt (CRU), Dympna McGlade, Philip O'Keffe, Jessica Ellis
Apologies: Declan O'Loan
Minutes of the last meeting
Shared Future consultation update
Dympna presented the committee with the list of consultants involved with the conferences and a list of organisations who have expressed interest in further workshops.
Chris Stewart (CRU) will be co-ordinating a steering group
Cross Border consultation meeting being organised – Tony Kennedy, Co-operation Ireland to attend.
It is important that we encourage people to send us a copy of their response.
Dympna updated the committee with regard to emerging themes from the consultation so far.
Institute of Governance consultation with political parties is ongoing
Duncan to feed back from workshops with churches.
Our response at the latest in July – this gives us enough time to influence the process and take a forthright stance. CRC needs to show an independence of thought.
Shared Future Council consultation
Council meeting May 21st – present issues for discussion and response by June meeting.
Robin to draft some main points and email to the Committee
Damien to follow up youth political movements to gather a response
Harbison review now available on OFMDFM website.
Arts Council consultation
Requested assistance with an EQIA on the funding of flute bands. Five public meetings planned for June plus additional consultations with organisations such as the Orange Order and the Ancient Order of the Hibernians. Staff are considering the most appropriate method of providing independent advice.
Police Ombudsman Research Report
Philip discussed his paper.
Committee requested that Philip investigate CRC's contact/involvement in work with PSNI and reports to next meeting
Committee agreed that it would be a good idea to invite Liam Burn to speak at a Committee meeting.
Suggested co-options are: Edwin Graham, Niall Fitzduff, Neil Jarman, Ann Anderson Porter, Vivienne Pollock, Roise NiBhaoill.
Dympna will send a letter inviting them to attend the next Committee meeting.
Business in the Community Awards
Committee agreed to work in partnership with Business in the Community in its annual awards scheme for best practice in the area of good relations. Council will sponsor and judge the new category for best good relations practice in the voluntary/community sector.
CRC needs to decide an approach to the issue of flags and emblems – Robin to circulate his paper on flags for discussion amongst the Committee.
Race Equality Strategy – hope to have something ready for next week. Consultation will take place with minority ethnic groups, then to Duncan for approval before submission. Philip is meeting with Patrick Yu next week and will forward his draft points to Robin. Damien suggested that Philip also contact Paul Noonan, Neil Jarman, and Robbie McVay for their views.
Damien will represent Pd Committee and speak to students from Bucknell University, 9th June.
Next meeting: Tuesday 17th June, 2.30pm at Dungannon office.